As used in this policy, "personal information" means information that would allow a party to identify you such as, for example, your name, address or location, telephone number, or email address.
- Privacy policies and data collection and use policies should be human readable, comprehensive, and easy to locate; Only the permitted amount of information required to provide you with services, enable SY to comply with any legal or applicable regulations or facilitate SY to anonymously use data for commercial purposes should be collected and maintained, and only for so long as reasonably needed or required;
- Information you provide through our Websites, or that we gather as a result of your use of our Websites or related services, should not be used for marketing or advertising purposes unless explicitly permitted, nor should it be provided voluntarily (without your permission) to anyone else unless required; and
- If SY is required to provide a third party with your personal information (whether by subpoena or otherwise), then provided we have collected and retained an email address for you, SY will use reasonable means to notify you promptly of that event, unless prohibited by law or SY is otherwise advised not to notify you on the advice of legal counsel.
Personal Information SY Collects
We may collect personal information at several places on the Websites, including without limitation:
- in connection with your viewing of any part of the SY Websites including any data directly or indirectly provided to us as part of said viewing;
- when you provide us with your personal information such as by sending an email to us or signing up to receive updates, newsletters or other information from SY;
- when you subscribe to one of our forum discussion lists or register to establish a user account on any of our Websites, or purchase merchandise;
- when you join the SY network through our SY Website, and when you thereafter create/edit your profile page, identify your content, create directly or indirectly any content through use of the Websites, share any of your data, and/or establish an account; and
- when you provide personal information in connection with your participation in any of the forums we make available or any SY or third-party discussion forums.
What SY does with Personal Information
Emails and Newsletters. We use the personal information you provide to us when you send us emails or sign up to receive updates from SY in order to respond to your request - for example, to reply to your email or to send you communications about SY news and campaigns.
When you subscribe to updates from us, your email address is sent to and stored in a SY database hosted on SY's or SY' hosting service provider's servers that can only be accessed by SY staff and contractors. Your username, name and email address could be visible to other discussion participants when you correspond on any of our forums and to the general public in the discussion archives. Options for disclosing name and email will be provided in any instance where these may be publicly accessible except in instances where these have to be legally disclosed. All emails sent to the discussions lists are archived by SY and may be archived by any third party accessing our Websites.
- If you purchase merchandise from the SY website, your personal information will be used for the purpose of sending you the items you purchased. If you sign up to receive updates from SY when you check out from the store, we will use your personal information to send you communications about SY news and campaigns.
SY Website. When you join our network, you provide personal information to create your account and establish a password and profile. We use that personal information to establish and maintain your accounts, provide you with the features we provide for account holders, and for the purpose of contacting you about upcoming news and events relevant to SY.
Participating in Our Community: Registered Users. When you register to obtain a user account on any of the Websites (any such person, a "Registered User"), including but not limited to the SY account you may be asked to provide personal information to create your account and establish a password and profile. Though the first and last name fields are required, providing your legal name is optional. Provision of your email address enables us to effectively manage your account and provide enhanced security which we would otherwise not be able to do. We encourage you to use an alias or nickname if you are not comfortable providing your legal name. If you voluntarily provide your legal name in connection with any content you submit to any Website, your name may be associated with the content you contributed (such as a publicly accessible provision of your name through sharing it by way of providing data to the Websites). We will also use that personal information to establish and maintain your membership and provide you with the features we provide for Registered Users.
Advertising Partners. SY does not currently have any advertising present on the website. When this changes, we will update this section with the relevant details of who provides this advertising and on what terms.
Disclosures of Personal Information
In general, it is not SY's practice to disclose personal information to third parties. We may share personal information in three instances:
First, SY may share personal information with our contractors and service providers in order to maintain, enhance, or add to the functionality of the Websites.
If SY is required to provide a third party with your personal information (whether by subpoena or otherwise), then provided we have collected and retained an email address for you, SY will use reasonable means to notify you promptly of that event, unless prohibited by law or SY is otherwise advised not to notify you on the advice of legal counsel.
Security of Personal Information Collected via the Websites
SY has implemented reasonable measures to protect against unauthorized access to and unlawful interception or processing of personal information that SY stores and controls. However, no website can fully eliminate security risks. Third parties may circumvent our security measures to unlawfully intercept or access transmissions or private communications. We will post a reasonably prominent notice to the Websites if any such security breach occurs.
Data Usage Policy: Non Personal Browsing and Site Usage Information
Our Data Usage Policy covers how we maintain and use information about you that is collected by our Websites and server logs, including when you log into a website using your SY account.
Non Personal Browsing Information We Collect. When you use the Websites, our servers (which may be hosted by a third-party service provider) may collect information indirectly and automatically (through, for example, the use of your "IP address") about your activities while visiting the Websites and information about the browser you are using. In addition, whenever you use your SY account to log into a website, our servers (which, again, may be hosted by a third party service provider) keep a log of the websites you visit and when you visit them.
Data Linking. We may link browsing information or information from our account server logs to the personal information you submit to us. We use this information to generate non-personal aggregated data for internal and external purposes, such as to help understand how the Websites are being used, to improve our Websites and the features we provide, and for systems administration purposes as well as using aggregated anonymised non-personal data based on the personal data you provide for services we may offer to third parties. SY may use a third party analytics provider to help us collect and analyse non personal browsing information through operation of our Websites for those same purposes.
No Selling or Sharing.
No Access. As an SY account service provider, SY could technically access your web-based account tied to our SY account service, and could log in on behalf of any of its SY account users to any of the accounts they have accessed using their SY account. SY will never use this technical login ability for any purpose unless otherwise required by law.
Notice. If SY is required to provide a third party with your non personal browsing information or to log in on behalf of an SY user (whether by subpoena or otherwise), then SY will use reasonable means to notify you promptly of that event, unless SY is prohibited by law from doing so or is otherwise advised not to notify you on the advice of legal counsel.
Reorganization or Spin-Offs
Special Note to International Users
End of the Policy